This historic stone grinding flour mill is still operating, more than 150 years after it was built. The land was presented to Major George Adams by President Monroe in 1832, as a reward for his military service. It wasn't until 1849 that the present mill was built along Greenville Creek. The name is a bastardization of Gabriel Baer, who constructed the mill. A town by the same name grew up around the mill. Today the mill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
It also has its own ghost--that of an old farmer-looking guy who might be Adams or perhaps Baer, or maybe somebody else entirely. He makes creaky footsteps on the old wooden floorboards in the upper levels.